If you are allergic to certain metals, you can choose hypoallergenic earrings. This includes those made of Brass, Stainless steel, or Medical grade plastic. Allergies to metals are caused by alloys, which are often added to soft metals in order to make them more durable. There are many different types of metals and alloys, and the type of metal you have an allergic reaction to will depend on you.
Hypoallergenic earrings are made from materials that are considered to be safe for people with sensitive skin. For example, hypoallergenic earrings are made from 316L surgical stainless steel, which is nickel and allergen-free. They also have a protective electroplated finish. In addition, they have double-notched butterfly locks, making them suitable for tragus, helix, and earlobe piercings.
While nickel is often the most common allergen in earrings, there are other metals that are less likely to cause an allergic reaction. A nickel allergy can cause a rash or swelling around the earring area. To minimize this effect, board-certified dermatologist Rosemarie Ingleton recommends washing the ear thoroughly with soap and applying hydrocortisone cream.
Stainless steel is a metal alloy, which means that it contains many elements in varying amounts. It is made of steel and various trace elements, including chromium, to make it stronger and more resistant to rust. It also has the advantage of being lightweight. However, stainless steel is not free from allergens, such as nickel, so it is not safe for those who are allergic to nickel.
Stainless steel contains trace amounts of nickel and iron, which can cause an allergic reaction. This metal is a common choice for earrings, but it should be noted that it is not completely safe for those who suffer from allergies. Some people are allergic to titanium and gold, while very few are allergic to alloys of stainless steel. However, there are other metals that are safe for sensitive ears.
Brass is a common base metal for jewelry. Often plated in gold earrings or sterling silver earrings, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Brass is the least likely to cause an allergic reaction, but people who are allergic to copper or zinc should avoid wearing brass jewelry. If you have any type of sensitivity, make sure to check with your doctor or dermatologist before buying any jewelry made from brass.
Another metal to avoid is nickel. Nickel is known to cause allergic reactions in many people. To avoid allergic reactions, you should buy jewelry made from nickel-free metals.
Medical Grade Plastic
If you have sensitive ears, medical grade plastic earrings are an ideal option. While they aren't nickel-free, they are very safe and don't harbor germs. This makes them the safest option for first-time piercings for babies and children. Nickel is one of the most common allergens in jewelry and can cause severe irritation in sensitive individuals.
The skin of the ear is one of the most sensitive areas of the body. It's similar to the skin on the lips and eyelids, which is why it's more prone to irritation and allergies. This is especially true when wearing earrings, as they sit against the skin and remain there for long periods of time.
Titanium earrings are made from hypoallergenic titanium, a hard-wearing material that does not react with the body. These earrings are especially good for people who are allergic to nickel and sensitive ears. They are also lightweight and comfortable. They have been approved by the Association of Professional Piercers. However, not all titanium alloys are hypoallergenic, so make sure you choose the hypoallergenic variety.
Titanium is a naturally occurring, extremely hard metal, which is three times stronger than steel. It comes in several grades, from grade 1 (the softest) to grade 5, which is the most common. Alloying titanium with aluminum or vanadium helps to create hypoallergenic jewelry. It also contains nickel deposits, which are naturally embedded in the metal, making it less likely to cause an allergic reaction.